It’s my birthday! Gonna party like it’s my birthday!
Today marks one year since the launch of Suite7beautyTalk!
Ah, you never forget your first time. So I want to commemorate this day by sharing Seven things I’ve learned this year about blogging:
And here we go….
- Find your voice. Be true to yourself, your personality and what you really want to say. The beauty blog world is a heavily saturated one & it’s easy to fall into the fray and get lost in the process. Don’t. It doesn’t matter how many blogs exist really, because the one thing that separates each of us is the unique aspect each one brings.
- This isn’t my first stab at blogging, THIS was my first attempt back in 2006. I had no idea what I really wanted to say & kinda jumped into it because I was such a fan of THIS BLOG & felt, well, inspired to start my own. It lasted only a few months because it started to feel overwhelming & I was battling a health condition that zapped my focus & created tons of stress coupled with an even more stressful job that I hated. Not a good time to say the least.
- Appreciate your readers. There are thousands of blogs on the web. Most people decide whether they like a blog or website within 20 seconds of their visit. That’s not a lot of time, so if they stick around long enough to read your work, “Like” a post, comment or subscribe, don’t take it lightly – respond and show your appreciation. Set aside some time to check out your subscribers’ blogs as well, build your community and always display gratitude. I appreciate all of my readers, I reply to your comments and I check out & subscribe to your blogs as well. And some might argue, that I can say this, since my blog is only a year old & not exactly overflowing with subscribers, but I intend to continue displaying gratitude no matter how large my audience, that’s just me. Do unto others …. and the whole bit. 🙂
- Connect. Read other blogs, comment on posts you like, interact with the bloggers you really enjoy. Follow their social media networks to continue connecting with them. Social media allows us to build connections with people we might never meet in person. It’s a wonderful thing! You might even find a blogger who becomes your mentor in some way. I have one & she doesn’t even know it, her blog rocks & one day, I hope to share an interview with her right here on S7.
- Be Inspired. What inspires you? I find inspiration on other blogs, news sites, magazines, books, conversations, music, photographs, my dog, my family ~ everywhere! You’ll never run out of inspiration if you stay open to finding it. Your blog is your creative outlet to do your thing and share what you know.
- Some might think it’s outdated but an archive library is extremely important! I can’t stress this enough!! See, I love checking out blogs. And when I find a blog I really like, I will take the time to review every post. If you don’t have a blog library, that’s tough to do which means some of your best posts could easily be overlooked and buried deep into your archives never to be read again. An archive calendar lets readers flip thru and see what they’ve missed. I see so many blogs without an archive and wonder why, only takes a minute to add and most hosted platforms include the option as a widget.
- Commit & Content: Ok, so I squeezed two in at #7, it’s my birthday, I’m entitled. By ‘commit’, I mean stick to some sort of posting schedule, I learned this the hard way. But if you want to grow your blog, you have to show up. Ultimately, it’s another aspect of gradual gains to be made. I had lots of pauses & breaks in my blogging last year but I’ve already started making up for it & plan to continue. Also, I think the best content is the kind that educates, informs or helps in some way, so that’s the direction I’ve started to take. Of course, there will be personal posts here & there, but for the most part, I want to help & what better way to help than by sharing what you know! I’ve learned so much from the input of others, their tutorials, advice and such… sharing is caring, after all.
So that’s what I’ve learned my first year blogging. I want to THANK EACH & EVERY ONE of YOU for taking the time to read, like, comment & subscribe! It means the world to me & I thank you from the bottom of my gradually green ♡
I’m off to spend the rest of my day doing this…..
oh don’t judge me, the pearls make it classy..